1. The word of the LORD came to me:
2. Son of man, prophesy against the shepherds of Israel. Prophesy and say to them: To the shepherds, thus says the Lord GOD: Woe to the shepherds of Israel who have been pasturing themselves!
Should not shepherds pasture the flock?
3. You consumed milk, wore wool, and slaughtered fatlings, but the flock you did not pasture.
4You did not strengthen the weak nor heal the sick nor bind up the injured. You did not bring back the stray or seek the lost but ruled them harshly and brutally.
5. So they were scattered for lack of a shepherd, and became food for all the wild beasts. They were scattered
6. and wandered over all the mountains and high hills; over the entire surface of the earth my sheep were scattered. No one looked after them or searched for them.
7. Therefore, shepherds, hear the word of the LORD:
8. As I live—oracle of the Lord GOD—because my sheep became plunder, because my sheep became food for wild beasts, for lack of a shepherd, because my shepherds did not look after my sheep, but pastured themselves and did not pasture my sheep,
9.therefore, shepherds, hear the word of the LORD:
10Thus says the Lord GOD: Look! I am coming against these shepherds. I will take my sheep out of their hand and put a stop to their shepherding my flock, so that these shepherds will no longer pasture them. I will deliver my flock from their mouths so it will not become their food.